The Westerly Granite Industry


Babcock-Smith House Museum
124 Granite Street
Westerly, RI   02891
401-596-5704
bsh1734@verizon.net

Fraquelli and Brusa--Facilities

Return
 

Photographs from the mid-1920s show a one story wooden building with a company sign on top that served as a carving shed A granite lion can be seen in the door.


 

 

1921 Map

Click for larger image.

 

1946 map

The 1946 update to the Sanborn Insurance maps of Westerly shows Fraquelli and Brusa located in buildings previously occupied by Wm. P Pellett and Son on the original 1921 map and before that by A Farrell & Son on the 1912 map.    The lease in 1932 indicates that the leased property on the north side of Oak Street was located between Butler Coal company to the east (see 1946 Map 8 enlarge.jpg), the New York, New Haven and Hartford Railroad Company line to the north, and Westerly Lumber Company to the west.  In 1949, the business is listed at 28 Oak Street in the Granite Cutter’s Journal.  Comparisons of the maps from 1946 and 1921 show that two sheds, one nearest to Oak Street, had been removed and an office added to the main shed of Fraquelli and Brusa.

Click for larger image.

 

Back to Top

 

© 2012 Babcock-Smith House Museum