The Westerly Granite Industry


Babcock-Smith House Museum
124 Granite Street
Westerly, RI   02891
401-596-5704
bsh1734@verizon.net

Lazzari and Barton--Woodlawn Facility

Return
The Real Estate and Builders Guides for the period published public records of rental, construction, and purchase of the Woodlawn works of Lazzari & Barton.  The growth of the Bronx is mirrored in the changing description of their location, from lots at Woodlawn, to the corner of Vireo Ave, to 233d St, to 343 E 233d St.  In Sept 1888 they reported plans for a one story shed designed by L. Cottrell, their architect.  In December that year, they recorded a 5-year lease for the site for $600.  Other alterations to buildings are reported until in February 1911, they purchased the site with the 1 story office and the building for stonework and procured a mortgage.
In 1879, John B Lazzari worked for Felix Malnati’s works at the corner of Grand Avenue and First Street, one of three stone works across from Woodlawn Cemetery.  Horace W Barton worked in the cemetery office building south of Grand Avenue next to the main entrance.  The railroad bounded the eastern edge of the cemetery as shown on the map by G.W. Bromley and Co.
The buildings at the Lazzari & Barton works are shown on plate 39 of the 1893 G.W. Bromley and Co. maps of New York.  While the earlier street names (Grand Avenue and First Street) are shown in parentheses, the current names are Eastchester Street and Vireo Street.  The Bronx River separates the Bronx from Westchester County to the east, though a few years later land across the river would be annexed.
On the 1911 G.W. Bromley and Co map, the buildings at the corner of E233rd and Vireo St are now shown with the Lazzari & Barton Co. name.  Next door on E233rd St is Peter Roemer Florist and the Woodlawn Cemetery Company.
The 1914 Sanborn Co insurance map indicates the activities occurring in buildings.  At the corner of E233 and Vireo, the office of Lazzari & Barton is shown at 343 E233 St. Their stone cutting shed is indicated in the building perpendicular to Vireo St., which would be the building shown in the 1894 photograph with the words Granite Works on the roof.  A 30 HP Crude Oil Engine is shown in the corner building.  Next door at 341 E233 St, the monument works has a stone cutting shed and a farrier shop for shoeing horses.  Several other stone cutting sheds, offices, florists, and greenhouses are shown on the map.
Two years after the legal closing of Lazzari & Barton Co, the G.W. Bromley and Co map shows a gas station at the corner of E233 St and Vireo St.
 

 

Back to Top

 

© 2012 Babcock-Smith House Museum