The Westerly Granite Industry


Babcock-Smith House Museum
124 Granite Street
Westerly, RI   02891
401-596-5704
babcocksmithhouse@gmail.com

History of the Sullivan Granite Company

 

The founder and first president was John B. Sullivan (1845-1911). He started the business with a retail monument shop in Taunton, MA.

 

Click here for more information about the Taunton business.

  In 1907, John B. Sullivan & Son purchased the Crumb Quarry in Westerly (Bradford), RI. John's son Frank A. Sullivan (1877-1961) moved to Westerly and became general manager of the quarry operation in Bradford. Future purchases included the Newall and Klondike (formally Gourlay Granite Works) Quarries. This local operation became known as Sullivan Granite Company. Frank was president of Sullivan Granite Company from 1911 to February 1952 when he retired. Under his leadership the company improved its facilities. This operation was famous for its tunneling technique.
  In 1952 Frank's son John F. Sullivan (1912-2003) became president and served until 1956. Sadly, the granite industry was in decline and the company was sold at public auction in November 1956. The property has since changed hands several times and is still producing some stone.
 

 

 
 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Back to Top

 

© 2012 Babcock-Smith House Museum