The Westerly Granite Industry


Babcock-Smith House Museum
124 Granite Street
Westerly, RI   02891
401-596-5704
babcocksmithhouse@gmail.com

History of the Sullivan Granite Company

 
John B. Sullivan, Monuments, was established in 1872 with its cutting shed at 129 and 131 Washington Street in Taunton. It worked in both marble and granite and contracted for both monuments and building work.
  In a bold step forward John B. Sullivan & Son purchased the Crumb Quarry in Bradford, RI. Frank A. Sullivan, junior partner in the Taunton operation, moved to Westerly to become general manager of the quarry.
 

 

Having quarries in Westerly was a strong selling point for the Taunton firm. Pictured in this ad is the Taunton, MA Soldiers' Monument

 

Civil War Monuments attributed to John B. Sullivan:

 

Franklin, MA

Raynham, MA

Taunton, MA

 

Taunton Gazette, June 28, 1919 records another move forward for the Sullivan operation in Bradford, RI when it purchased the Newall and Klondike quarries.

 

Click on article for larger image

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Back to Top

 

© 2012 Babcock-Smith House Museum