Granite Industry
Westerly, RI

Anchored Link |  Anchored Link  |  Anchored Link

Babcock-Smith House Museum
124 Granite Street
Westerly, RI   02891
401-596-5704
babcocksmithhouse@gmail.com


Page in Progress

Historical Markers

The history of the community is also Carved in Stone by the historical markers that were erected around town as part of the three hundredth anniversary of the State of Rhode Island. These markers were designed by Isaac Smith, Sr. and all had the design with “ hope” and the anchor with the dates 1636-1936 at the top. Most monuments had a unique design at the bottom

 Meeting House marker The marker on Route 3 at the Meeting House Bridge marks the location of the original business center of the town. It notes that the first meeting house in southern Rhode Island was built in 1680 by Seventh Day Baptists. It tells of the contribution of Samuel Ward as a leader in the struggle for independence and as a founder of Brown University. It records how the town of Westerly was divided to form the towns of Charlestown (1738), Richmond (1748) and Hopkinton, (1757).
Dr. Joshua Babcock marker A marker in front of the Babcock Smith House on Granite Street identifies Joshua Babcock as the owner of this home, the first physician in town, the first postmaster and chief justice of the Supreme Court. The design at the bottom of the monument is a caduceus, the symbol of the medical profession.
Perry marker A marker on Main Street at the foot of Cross St. designates the dwelling of Oliver Hazard Perry who was later victorious in the Battle of Lake Erie during the War of 1812. The design at the bottom of the monument depicts Perry in that battle.
Shipyard marker On Margin Street is a marker that indicates the site of a 19 th century shipyard. The design at the bottom of the monument shows a ship under construction.
Mastuxet marker On the Watch Hill Road a stone tablet marks the location of the landing of John and Mary Babcock, the first white settlers in Westerly in 1648. The design at the bottom of the monument is a map of the Pawcatuck River showing Mastuxet Cove.
Whipping Post marker In front of the present Friendly’s Restaurant on Franklin Street, this stone marker marks the location of town meetings during colonial times and the great buttonwood tree that served as the town whipping post. At the bottom of the monument is a design of the buttonwood tree.

 

 

Back to Top

 

© 2012 Babcock-Smith House Museum